Sutton Coldfield Saturday sports round-up

A round-up of just some of the Sutton Coldfield sporting action from Saturday 29th October.

Email your sporting events to



Sutton Coldfield Hockey Club

The men’s first eleven continued their good start to the season with a 4-1 victory over Old Halesonians. Goals came from Oliver Westbrook (2) Tomas Homer and Steven Howard. This was their fifth straight win putting them top of the Midland 1 League, above Warwick on goals scored.

Meanwhile the 2nd team secured their third win from five with a last minute goal from Jake Nicholls giving them a 2-1 victory over Lichfield.

With no games for the ladies’ 1st and 2nd teams, all eyes were on the 3s who responded with a 2-0 win over Stratford 2s. Goals came from Becky Wootton who scored after picking up a long ball from Des Kinsella and Des Kinsella after being set up by, you guessed it, Becky Wootton.

Other results were a 1-1 draw for the men’s 3s versus Warwick University with Willis scoring for Sutton. The 4s and 5s suffered defeats against Beeston (1-3) and Worcester (2-5) respectively while the 6s beat Old Halesonians 4s 3-2. The 7s also came out on top with a 4-1 win over Telford & Wrekin while the 8th XI succumb to a 0-3 Loughborough Town defeat.

Streetly Hockey Club

The men’s 1st XI shared the points in a six goal home game against Boots. The second draw of the season sees them sixth in the Midlands 2 League table on equal points with Stratford but one place back on goal difference. Scorers were Mark Page (2) and Craig Moore. MotM Luke Windsor

The men 2s stay top of the West Midlands 1 League with a 3-1 win over Bloxwich, goals coming from Harry Acton and Mitch Corden (2) who also received MotM.

The 3rd XI lost 6-2 at home to Redditch with the Streetly goals scored by Cedric Lunnon and Chris Mason. MotM went to Callum Simpson.

There was no ladies game this weekend.


Sutton Coldfield Rugby Club

Sutton Coldfield Rugby Club 1st XV took on Worcester Wanderers at the Roger Smoldon Ground. Worcester were the first to put points on the board with a penalty and responded quickly to an equalising penalty from Sutton to restore a three point lead. A third penalty for Worcester took the score on to 3-9 but the first try of the game took Sutton in at half-time with just a point separating the two teams. The second half saw two more successful penalties for Worcester before Sutton pulled the score back to 13-15 with their second try. Unfortunately the conversion was short and Worcester finished the game with a drop goal that gave them a 13-18 victory.


Sutton Coldfield Town FC

Leek Town played hosts to Sutton Coldfield Town in the FA Trophy.
It was just seven and a half minutes in when Leek’s Rob Stevenson gave the visitors the advantage after what the official Royals’ Twitter account described as “another calamity at the back”. Half-time arrived without further goals but it was long after the restart before Leek made it two with a goal from Chris Budrys. Sutton Manager, Neil Tooth, made a double change on 56 minutes with Palmer and Gayle being replaced by Beresford and Blake. Leek had a succession of missed shots and Tooth made his third and final substitution on 66 minutes with Morris coming off for J Smith. The Royals scored a late consolation with Liam Slade netting well in to stoppage time.

Neil Tooth tweeted after the game; “No complaints today @leektown were better than us plain and simple! Big call from the Lino at 0-1 but that’s football & we move onto Monday”

Team: Wren, Green, Leslie, Palmer, Slade, Johnson, Gayle, McNaught, Keen, OCallaghan, Morris.
Subs: Smith, Blake, Gueyes, Beresford, Male.

Boldmere St Michaels

The Mikes were away at Coventry Sphinx on Saturday and returned with a point after their fourth successive draw and seventh game without a win; All of which were away from home.

Romulus Fc

Romulus welcomed Spalding United to Coles Lane for this First Division South game which the hosts were hoping would get them back into winning ways despite Spalding sitting in second place in the league. Things were not looking great after the visitors were awarded a first half penalty which was duly dispatched but they got worse when The Roms went down to 10 men after seeing red from the ref. Just on half-time Spalding made the extra man count with a second goal. Despite having to play the whole of the second half with ten men, Romulus continued to push on and a spirited display saw them rewarded with a 73rd minute goal from Liam Hailey.